Some of the items featured in the Autumn/Winter 1990 (Vol. 24, No. 1) issue of ‘New Zealand Deaf News’:
- NZAD changed its motto from ‘Deafness – Let’s Face it’ to ‘The Voice Of Deaf People’.
- NZAD has been given a legacy from the late Bruce McHattie, to be used to purchase a house in Glen Eden (26 Glendale Road).
- Kevin Stokes writes an article on his experiences at Gallaudet during its Deaf Way conference, also attended by a number of other Kiwis.
- Marianne Collins-Ahlgren received her PhD in Wellington, with Freda Pearce interpreting. This was probably the first time sign language interpreting was provided at a graduation ceremony in New Zealand.
- Christchurch Deaf Youth Club is established.