Some of the items featured in the Summer 1989/90 (Vol. 23, No. 4) issue of ‘New Zealand Deaf News’:
- The first national meeting for the NZ Sign Language Dictionary was a successful meeting with deaf agreeing on major issues concerning NZSL. NZAD will look at ways to fund the project and get it started.
- Sheila Gibbons is awarded ‘Outstanding Deaf Woman of the Year’.
- The Taranaki Deaf Club is now to be known as the Taranaki Deaf Society Inc.
- The New Zealand Deaf Rugby League team will play against Australia in June 1990. Ten players were selected from Auckland, with four from Christchurch and five from Wellington.
- John Rua talks about his trip to Japan to present a Pou Pou (carved panel) to Expo 90 which he was involved in carving.
- For communication week, a video conference was set up between members of Wellington and Auckland Deaf Societies by Telecom.
- South Island VX beat the North Island Deaf XV 17-14, in the first Deaf inter-island rugby fixture since the 1960s, hosted in Wellington.