Some of the items featured in the December 1995 (Vol. 5, No. 3) Issue of ‘NFD Communicate’:
- A lobby group ‘Deaf Education Access Forum’ was established with the group’s aim “to ensure that all Deaf and hearing-impaired people have full access to education”.
- Highlights of the very first Deaf Festival which was a wonderful success with a Deaf Drama competition which had Deaf people asking: What is Deaf culture?
- A video is being produced for Deaf people in preparation for the 5 March 1996 census. It includes two questions on disability. This is the first time disability issues have been covered in a New Zealand census.
- Stories of parents finding out when their children were deaf – such as the Everitts, Holts and Rawlinsons; their approaches to educating their children.
- The NZ Federation for Deaf Children sell resources, ‘Hand to Hand’ stories told in ‘sign’ by Royce Flynn and Chris Blum.
- There are now over 60 interpreters and sign language communicators, most of them working part-time, listed with the Deaf Association.