HomeCollectionSt Dominic’s School for Deaf Children

We are all aware of the immense value St Dominic’s has contributed to the New Zealand Deaf education sector. St Dominic’s School for the Deaf opened in 1944 to provide a Catholic based education to deaf children, and ran for 45 years before closing in May 1989. SignDNA is thrilled that the St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre in Palmerston North has donated their full collection of St Dominic’s video footage to SignDNA, along with hundreds of documents and photos. Thanks to the Catholic Deaf leadership and David Loving-Molloy for their support.

  • Deaf Education
reset filter
1987
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Ephpheta: June 1987 (Vol. 10, No. 1)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1971
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1971 (Vol. 8, No. 4)

NZSL Stories
  • Kevin Pivac
  • John Mansell
  • John Hunt
2016
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2016 (Vol. 38, No. 4)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1966
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Autumn 1966 (Vol. 3, No. 3)

NZSL Stories
  • John Hunt
1970
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1970 (Vol. 7, No. 4)

NZSL Stories
  • John Hunt
1983
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Ephpheta: September 1983 (Vol. 6, No. 3)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
NZSL Stories
  • Tony Walton
1964
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Winter 1964 (Vol. 1, No. 4)

NZSL Stories
  • John Mansell
  • John Hunt
2012
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2012 (Vol. 34, No. 3)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1955-65
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

A montage of St Dominic’s Christmas Picnics between 1955 and 1965

Footage from 1955 – 1965 during the annual Christmas Picnics held by St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Island Bay. In New Zealand fashion, Santa arrives on horseback, bringing presents to the pupils who all take turns riding the horse!
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1969
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1969 (Vol. 7, No. 1)

NZSL Stories
  • John Hunt
  • Kevin Pivac
  • John Mansell
1980
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Ephpheta: September 1980 (Vol. 3, No. 3)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1976
video – Taonga source: Manawatu Deaf Society

Understand the Silence: A Silent Documentary about the Silent World of Deafness

This documentary was filmed and edited by Joan Bailey and released in 1976. It covers the preparation and running of the St Dominics Gala Day, as well as Manawatu Deaf Club picnics, and the Manawatu Womens Group.
Manawatu Deaf Society
2007
article – Taonga source: Unknown

Deaf chaplain dies before move home

Danny Beech, a long-time leader of New Zealand's deaf community, both Catholic and secular, has died.
1954
article – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Archbishop Opens Feilding School for Deaf Children

Erected at a cost of £68,000 and standing in 23 acres of farmland and gardens, St. Dominic's school for the Deaf, at Feilding, was blessed and officially opened this afternoon by Archbishop T.B. McKeefry, Metropolitan of New Zealand.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
2000
video – Taonga source: Dorothy Jones

Manawatu Deaf community farewells Terry O’Brien

The Manawatu Deaf community thanks Terry O’Brien for his service as a Teacher of the Deaf. Terry taught for over 30 years at Freyberg High School in Palmerston North which had a Deaf Unit that St Dominic’s pupils often went on to attend.
Dorothy Jones
1950
article – Taonga source: The Dominion

World Authorities Meet Deaf Wellington Children

Dr. A.W.G. Ewing and his wife, Dr. Irene Ewing, English authorities on the education of the deaf, with some of the pupils of St. Dominic's School for the Deaf, Island Bay, Wellington. The Ewings are here at the invitation of the Government to advise on education in their field.
2010
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2010 (Vol. 32, No. 3)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1990
article – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Trying to keep St Dominics

An attempt is being made to keep the St Dominics complex - the house, hostel wind and teaching facilities - as a Feilding-owned business or trust.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1960s
video – Taonga source: Manawatu Deaf Society

St Dominics Gala

St Dominics School for the Deaf hold their annual Gala Day – year unknown.
Manawatu Deaf Society
1950
video – Taonga source: Archives New Zealand

National Film Unit visits St Dominics School for the Deaf

The Government’s National Film Unit follows the City District Health Nurse as she visits students at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf.
Archives New Zealand
1968
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Winter 1968 (Vol. 5, No. 4)

NZSL Stories
  • John Mansell
  • John Hunt
1965
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Winter 1965 (Vol. 2, No. 4)

NZSL Stories
  • John Hunt
2012
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2012 (Vol. 34, No. 2)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1985
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Ephpheta: Easter 1985 (Vol. 8, No. 1)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
NZSL Stories
  • Susie Ovens
  • Shona McGhie
1980
Images – Taonga source: Manawatu Deaf Society

Team Photo: St. Dominic’s O.B. Basketball Deaf Club, 1980

Manawatu Deaf Society
1969
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1969 (Vol. 6, No. 3)

1981
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Ephpheta: March 1981 (Vol. 4, No. 1)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1954
article – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Additions To School For The Deaf: Opened At Fielding By Archbishop McKeefry

A great step forward in what is a unique work of Christian charity and education in New Zealand was taken last Sunday, November 28, with its opening. The additions to the school consist of a splendid new block providing classrooms and dormitories.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1969
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1969 (Vol. 6, No. 2)

NZSL Stories
  • John Hunt
1988
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Ephpheta: Easter 1988 (Vol. 10, No. 4)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre