St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

St Dominic’s School for the Deaf 40th Anniversary Reunion

1984
Footage from the 40th Anniversary of St Dominic’s school for the Deaf in Feilding held in June of 1984. This video shows a tour of the school grounds, welcoming speeches to attendees and the celebrations that follow over the weekend.
Image for St Dominic’s School for the Deaf 40th Anniversary Reunion

The 40th Anniversary of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Feilding was held during Queens’ Birthday Weekend (Saturday 2nd June to Monday 4th June) in 1984 to celebrate 40 years since the school’s opening in 1944.

The video opens with a tour of the school grounds, chapel and kitchens. Welcoming speeches by Maree Carroll and Sister Gemma opened the event. Behind the lectern a banner reads “ST DOMINIC’S SCHOOL 40TH REUNION VERITAS – WELCOME TO EVERYONE 1944-1984”. The speeches were followed by an official roll call and group photographs to mark this momentous occasion.

Jeanette Smith, one of the first students to attend school at the Island Bay site, and current pupil at the time Jarrod Burrell, ceremoniously cut the cake together for a lively afternoon tea. The day of activities ended with a Mass held at St Brigid Catholic Church in Feilding, including the Deaf reading of the Prayer the Faithful, along with Sisters prayers and other speeches.

Note: Sound is slightly out of sync with video, video a couple of seconds slower.

  1. Carol Cotter

  2. Daniel Beech

  3. Elizabeth Mayall

  4. Jarrod Burrell

  5. Jeanette Smith

  6. Judith Hardy McGilip

  7. Maree Carroll

  8. Marlene Rush

  9. Mary Johnson

  10. Phonse Carroll

  11. Sister Barbara Dwyer

  12. Sister Gemma

  13. Sister Louise Timpany

  14. Steven Johnston

Donated by St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Reference number SDC32-01-EDU84