
1987
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: December 1986 (Vol. 9, No. 3)

NZSL Stories


1970
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Teaching the Deaf: St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Feilding
What was school life was like for pupils who attended St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Feilding? Footage includes hearing tests, classroom teaching, and celebrating a pupil’s 5th birthday with his classmates, before Mass with the Sisters.

























1988
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: June 1988 (Vol. 11, No. 1)

























1994
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Celebrations at the St Dominic’s Golden Jubilee
Footage from the 50th Jubilee of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf, with over 200 people attending a weekend of festivities at the Fielding Racecourse during the Anzac Weekend of April 1995.

























1965
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
St Dominic’s gives a Catholic education to Deaf boys and girls
Several clips of teaching and classroom scenes at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf, with one-on-one speech therapy, oral communication methods, a physical education class, the Rotarians Picnic Drive, playing with jet aeroplanes, folk dancing and their annual Christmas party.

























1999
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
‘Nothing to See’ – David Molloy
David Molloy, a Deaf priest based in Palmerston North, talks about his life in the church and his second collection of poems in ‘Nothing to See’, published in 1997.

























1981
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: December 1981 (Vol. 4, No. 4)























NZSL Stories


1982
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News
NZ Deaf News: October 1982 (Vol. 19, No. 3)
NZSL Stories


1986
article – Taonga source: Zealandia
A capital reception
An interpreter passes on the Pope's message to the deaf during the outdoor Mass at Athletic Park.


2011
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Deaf Southern Star: 2011 (Vol. 33, No. 1)

























1984
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: Autumn 1984 (Vol. 7, No. 1)

























1982
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: September 1982 (Vol. 5, No. 2)

























2017
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Deaf Southern Star: 2017 (Vol. 39, No. 2)

























2015
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Deaf Southern Star: 2015 (Vol. 37, No. 2)

























1979
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: December 1979 (Vol. 2, No. 4)

























1954
article – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Archbishop Opens Feilding School for Deaf Children
Erected at a cost of £68,000 and standing in 23 acres of farmland and gardens, St. Dominic's school for the Deaf, at Feilding, was blessed and officially opened this afternoon by Archbishop T.B. McKeefry, Metropolitan of New Zealand.

























1994
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1944 – 1994: St Dominic’s celebrates its Golden Jubilee!
Around 250 people attended the 50th Jubilee, commemorating 50 years of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf. Footage shows many old photo albums, reunion photos being taken, a Jubilee Mass and a visit to the old Dover Street school grounds.

























1979
article – Taonga source: The Press
Veteran journalist dies, 79
Veteran newspaperman Geoffrey Webster died today at 79. He recently had major surgery. About 25 years ago, in association with Mr D.Nathan and two others, he founded the Friends of the Deaf Inc, which today has property in Balmoral Rd, and assets worth more than $2 million.


1960s
video – Taonga source: Manawatu Deaf Society
St Dominics Gala
St Dominics School for the Deaf hold their annual Gala Day – year unknown.




1986
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: Easter 1986 (Vol. 9, No. 1)























NZSL Stories


1989
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: October 1989 (Vol. 11, No. 4)

























2010
Object – Taonga source: Mary Johnson
Framed Memorabilia: Mary Johnson and her MNZM medal, awarded 2010




1986
article – Taonga source: NZPA
Communing In Silence
Deaf people gatherered near the front of the papal Mass as interpreter Rachel Locker translated for them. She said it was one of the hardest job she had done because of the religious language.
NZSL Stories


1954
article – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
NEW ST. DOMINIC’S SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF OPENING IN FEILDING: Over 3000 Attended Ceremony Yesterday
Over 3000 people flocked to St. Dominic's School for the Deaf yesterday afternoon to hear the Catholic Prelate, His Grace Archbishop P.T.B. McKeefry, bless the new building and officially open it.

























1981
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Ephpheta: June 1981 (Vol. 4, No. 2)

























1978
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Catholic Deaf Newsletter: April 1978 (Vol. 1, No. 1)

























1954
article – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Additions To School For The Deaf: Opened At Fielding By Archbishop McKeefry
A great step forward in what is a unique work of Christian charity and education in New Zealand was taken last Sunday, November 28, with its opening. The additions to the school consist of a splendid new block providing classrooms and dormitories.

























2006
article – Taonga source: NZ Catholic
Deaf community gathers to honour teacher and friend
The deaf community of the lower North Island gathered in Palmerston North on the last weekend of September to honour a teacher and chaplain, mentor and friend who has worked with the deaf since 1972.


2016
publication – Taonga source: Wellington Deaf Society
Windy Hands: June 2016




2013
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
Deaf Southern Star: 2013 (Vol. 35, No. 4)






























