Some of the items featured in the September 1980 (Vol. 17, No. 5) issue of ‘New Zealand Deaf News’:
- Deaf News proposes renaming Kelston School for Deaf Children as ‘Cyril Allen College’, just as Sumner has been renamed ‘Van Asch College’.
- Pat Dugdale’s public address to the 1980 Conference of the NZ Federation for Deaf Children. She says that the evidence that oralism does not work in practice is beyond dispute, and that it is time for change.
- A New Zealand Deaf Women’s Conference is underway, to be arranged during the Year of the Handicapped 1981.
- Wellington Deaf Society is trialing a new gathering system – instead of the Society having their usual get together twice a month at the Loaves and Fishes Hall, an once-a-month fun games evening is held at members houses, rotating between Wellington, Hutt Valley, Porirua and Paraparaumu.
- The New Zealand Catholic Association was formed during the weekend of 13-15 June in Palmerston North.