Some of the items featured in the 1968 Summer Issue of ‘NZ Deaf News’ (Vol. 5, No. 2):
- NZ News moves away from cartoon drawings for its front cover towards photographs. It encourages entries of black and white photographs.
- A review of the 1967 season of the Christchurch ‘Deaf Girls’ Indoor Basketball Club, with one of its highlights being a trip to Auckland to play a friendly game against the Auckland Deaf Society’s girls.
- Yoga classes are hosted at the Auckland Deaf Welfare Centre on Wednesday evenings.
- Diane Burch, a deaf woman, recently won the contest for Mrs Gisborne.
- Manawatu forms a Women’s Group, with members meeting once a month at their homes. They have sewing and knitting competitions.
- As agreed at its AGM on 24 February, Wellington Deaf Society changes its social evenings from Wednesday evenings to Saturdays. Wednesday evenings were not a popular or convenient time for many members.
- A letter to the editor from Bruce McHattie complaining about its usage of the term, ‘deaf and dumb’.