Some of the items featured in the Spring 1998 (Vol. 8, No. 1) Issue of ‘NFD Communicate’:
- “Deaf people listen differently” – an article written by Jennifer Brain with an advertisement for the NZSL Dictionary (at $99.95 incl p+p).
- The DeaFine Theatre Company put on a production of ‘Forest Man’, a story in sign and body language with voice-over for hearing audiences. The DeaFine Theatre Company has its sights set on becoming professional and taking performances to ever wider audiences.
- Auckland Deaf Society is staging a fashion show on Saturday 26 September 1998 during Deaf Awareness Week to raise funds for their sports team’s transport, accommodation and uniform costs for the NZ Deaf Games.
- Sponsored by the Deaf Association, the Australian Theatre of the Deaf will be coming to New Zealand in October to perform ‘Masks are Barking.’
- The NZSL Tutors Association is organising a Silent Weekend Camp on 6-8 November 1998.