After the 1st National Deaf Youth Camp was held in Cambridge, near Hamilton, it was agreed that the next camp would be held in the South Island. The 2nd National Deaf Youth Camp was during 25 September to 30 September 2006, with 50 participants – 16 to 25 years old. It was held at Akaroa, Canterbury. After checking out several different venues, the camp committee decided upon YMCA Wainui Park and Outdoor Pursuits Centre. It is one of the most popular places in the South Island. The camp’s objectives were to:
- Meet Deaf youth from all over New Zealand. New friends!
- Empower Deaf youth to become leaders!
- Having access to Deaf role models
- Better understanding of Deaf issues – workshops
- Gain confidence and new skills
- Have fun while challenging yourselves!
Camp activities consisted of workshops, group competitions, abseiling, kayaking, fun games, abseiling, high ropes, speedboat and biscuiting, and more! The event was organised by Christchurch Deaf Youth Club which was set up after the 1st National Deaf Youth Camp. The CDYC remained in action after the NDYC and organised activities for Deaf youth within the Canterbury region.