During the 1955 Sports Convention held in Christchurch, a picnic is held at Motukarara, by Lake Ellesmere in Canterbury, with various activities taking place including sack races, the inaugural tug-of-war competition between the three Deaf Clubs (Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch), and the awarding of the shield to the tug-of-war winners. The Auckland men, and the Christchurch women, each win in their groups.
The Tug-of-War banners were gifted from the Wellington Deaf Society, and designed by the then President of the Wellington Deaf Society, H.M.Williams, to commemorate the 75th Jubilee of the Sumner Deaf School in 1955.
A group of Deaf people visit the city of Christchurch, including the Christchurch Cathedral. The Aucklanders travel back home via train from Christchurch to Lyttelton, and catch the SS Hinemoa ferry to Wellington where they stayed overnight, before heading back home to Auckland via train.