1955-65
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

A montage of St Dominic’s Christmas Picnics between 1955 and 1965

Footage from 1955 – 1965 during the annual Christmas Picnics held by St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Island Bay. In New Zealand fashion, Santa arrives on horseback, bringing presents to the pupils who all take turns riding the horse!
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1946
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Teaching The Deaf To Speak

Margaret is one of some 21 kiddies, aged from five to seven years, who for the most part born deaf, are receiving special instruction at St. Dominic's School for the Deaf at Island Bay, Wellington, the first Catholic institution of its kind to be established in the Dominion.
1968
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

A Deaf Child in the Family

“A Deaf Child in the Family” is an award-winning film which shows authentic scenes from Deaf education centres at Kelston, St Dominics and Sumner, produced as a resource for families of deaf children.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1946
article – Taonga source: NZ Tablet

Making the Deaf Hear and the Dumb Speak: The Splendid Work of St. Dominic’s School, Wellington.

Two years ago, the New Zealand Dominicians opened a Catholic school for deaf children at 15 Dover Street, Island Bay, Wellington. The article records the impressions of a Wellington journalist who visited the school recently.
1994
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Pilgrimage to the original St Dominic’s Wellington school

A group of past pupils visit the original Dover Street location in Island Bay, Wellington, as part of the Golden Jubilee of the founding of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

NEW ST. DOMINIC’S SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF OPENING IN FEILDING: Over 3000 Attended Ceremony Yesterday

Over 3000 people flocked to St. Dominic's School for the Deaf yesterday afternoon to hear the Catholic Prelate, His Grace Archbishop P.T.B. McKeefry, bless the new building and officially open it.
St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children
St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children
St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children
Est. 1944
Collection

St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children

We are all aware of the immense value St Dominic's has contributed to the New Zealand Deaf education sector. St Dominic’s School for the Deaf opened in 1944 to provide a Catholic based education to deaf children, and ran for 45 years before closing in May 1989.
1950
article – Taonga source: The Dominion

World Authorities Meet Deaf Wellington Children

Dr. A.W.G. Ewing and his wife, Dr. Irene Ewing, English authorities on the education of the deaf, with some of the pupils of St. Dominic's School for the Deaf, Island Bay, Wellington. The Ewings are here at the invitation of the Government to advise on education in their field.
1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Additions To School For The Deaf: Opened At Fielding By Archbishop McKeefry

A great step forward in what is a unique work of Christian charity and education in New Zealand was taken last Sunday, November 28, with its opening. The additions to the school consist of a splendid new block providing classrooms and dormitories.
2009
article – Taonga source: Palmerston North Diocesan News

We See What You Mean – St Dominic’s past in print

A history of St Dominic's School for the Deaf was launched in March in Feilding and Auckland. 'We See What You Mean' has been the culmination of many years' work by author Dorothy Pilkington and the school's History Society Committee.
1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Archbishop Opens Feilding School for Deaf Children

Erected at a cost of £68,000 and standing in 23 acres of farmland and gardens, St. Dominic's school for the Deaf, at Feilding, was blessed and officially opened this afternoon by Archbishop T.B. McKeefry, Metropolitan of New Zealand.
1994
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

1944 – 1994: St Dominic’s celebrates its Golden Jubilee!

Around 250 people attended the 50th Jubilee, commemorating 50 years of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf. Footage shows many old photo albums, reunion photos being taken, a Jubilee Mass and a visit to the old Dover Street school grounds.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1950
article – Taonga source: Zealandia

World Authorities Impressed by Catholic School for Deaf

A visit to the Catholic School for the Deaf, conducted by the Dominican Sisters in Wellington, was paid recently by Dr. Irene Ewing and her husband, Dr. A.W.G Ewing, renowed authorities on the education of the deaf.
1950
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Dominic’s School Impresses Experts On Training Of Deaf

"This is the first time we have ever seen deaf children dance to a gramophone" said Dr. Irene Ewing delightedly when with her husband, Dr. A.Ewing, she visited St Dominic's School for the Deaf at Island Bay, Wellington.
1944
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

FOR DEAF & DUMB, CATHOLIC SCHOOL, TUITON BY DOMINICANS

In spite of wet weather, there was a large attendance of Catholic clergy and public at the blessing and opening of St. Dominic's School for the Deaf and Dumb, at Dover Street, Island Bay, yesterday afternoon. This school, conducted by the Sisters of St. Dominic, is the first Catholic School for the education of deaf-mutes to be established in New Zealand.
1950
video – Taonga source: Archives New Zealand

National Film Unit visits St Dominics School for the Deaf

The Government’s National Film Unit follows the City District Health Nurse as she visits students at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf.
Archives New Zealand
1965
video – Taonga source: Mary Johnson

St Dominic School for the Deaf, Fielding: First Reunion, 1965

St Dominics School for the Deaf in Fielding celebrates their first school reunion in 1965. The reunion was one year after the school had relocated to Fielding from Wellington.
Mary Johnson
1994
article – Taonga source: Unknown

250 attend school’s jubilee celebrations

Three first-year pupils and three sets of twins numbered among the 250 or so former pupils, teachers, family and friends who attended the St Dominics School for the Deaf 50th jubilee over Anzac Weekend.