Deaf people get together at John and Verna McRae’s place before heading to Orewa, Auckland for the Annual ADS Picnic.
The Battle of Whau: a drama by Kelston Deaf students for the opening ceremony of Kelston School for the Deaf, 7th November 1959.
The opening of Kelston on a site in Archibald Road featured the infamous ‘Te Pakanga o Whau’ (The Battle of Whau) in 1959 where 86 deaf students acted in an outside play featuring a Māori-Pakeha battle near a big gum tree field.
Students from the Titirangi School for the Deaf visit the construction site of the future Kelston School for the Deaf.
Brief footage of the crowd at Kelston for its 45th reunion. The Auckland weather holds up for the outdoor festivities!