The first National Deaf Sevens tournament was held at the Linton Military Camp, located just south of Palmerston North, where the Central boys won a points-based competition.
- Central beat Northern 28-6
- Central drew Southern 4-4
- Southern beat Northern 16-10
In the first match between South and Central, a try is scored within the opening seconds by Ross Freemantle! The teams sported new jerseys in their regional colours. Footage also covers the after-match function.
- Northern Zone: Matthew Cockburn, Laurence Smith, Michael Crains, Joseph Su’a, Arona Amosa, Edwin Mackie, Nicholas Humby, Matthew Hudson, Warwick Flintoff (Captain/Coach), George Hiri
- Central Zone: Bill Archibald, Leith Tangiwai, Martin Holtham, Jamie Kuklinski, Daniel Kuklinski, Tony Kuklinski, George Hiri, Rodney Roberts (Captain)
- Southern Zone: Roger Strong, Richard Austin, Michael Collett, Oliver Ferguson, Ross Freemantle, Craig Halworth, Richard Duff (Coach), Tony McGill, Ben Robertson (Captain), Michael Waities
The day before, there was a game of 15-a-side rugby between the Southern Region and Northern Region, which the Southern Region won 28 to 13. Linton Military Camp is also the largest New Zealand Army base and is home to the Headquarters 1(NZ) Brigade.