1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF NEW INSTITUTION: PROVISION FOR 54 CHILDREN

Deaf children from all parts of New Zealand are gradually overcoming their affliction at St. Dominic's School for the Deaf, situated at Aorangi, near Feilding.
1965
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Autumn 1965 (Vol. 2, No. 3)

1967
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Autumn 1967 (Vol. 4, No. 3)

2017
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2017 (Vol. 39, No. 3)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1969
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1969 (Vol. 6, No. 3)

1965
video – Taonga source: Mary Johnson

St Dominic School for the Deaf, Fielding: First Reunion, 1965

St Dominics School for the Deaf in Fielding celebrates their first school reunion in 1965. The reunion was one year after the school had relocated to Fielding from Wellington.
Mary Johnson
1976
video – Taonga source: Manawatu Deaf Society

Understand the Silence: A Silent Documentary about the Silent World of Deafness

This documentary was filmed and edited by Joan Bailey and released in 1976. It covers the preparation and running of the St Dominics Gala Day, as well as Manawatu Deaf Club picnics, and the Manawatu Womens Group.
Manawatu Deaf Society
1970
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Teaching the Deaf: St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Feilding

What was school life was like for pupils who attended St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Feilding? Footage includes hearing tests, classroom teaching, and celebrating a pupil’s 5th birthday with his classmates, before Mass with the Sisters.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1964
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Winter 1964 (Vol. 1, No. 4)

1978
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

People like us – ‘Deaf Education and Technology’

A look into the world of Deaf people, in particular a glimpse into Deaf education at the time, and how technology improves the lives of Deaf people, with Daniel Beech demonstrating the use of a TTY.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

NEW ST. DOMINIC’S SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF OPENING IN FEILDING: Over 3000 Attended Ceremony Yesterday

Over 3000 people flocked to St. Dominic's School for the Deaf yesterday afternoon to hear the Catholic Prelate, His Grace Archbishop P.T.B. McKeefry, bless the new building and officially open it.
1968
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Winter 1968 (Vol. 5, No. 4)

1946
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Teaching The Deaf To Speak

Margaret is one of some 21 kiddies, aged from five to seven years, who for the most part born deaf, are receiving special instruction at St. Dominic's School for the Deaf at Island Bay, Wellington, the first Catholic institution of its kind to be established in the Dominion.
1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Archbishop Opens Feilding School for Deaf Children

Erected at a cost of £68,000 and standing in 23 acres of farmland and gardens, St. Dominic's school for the Deaf, at Feilding, was blessed and officially opened this afternoon by Archbishop T.B. McKeefry, Metropolitan of New Zealand.
1973
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1973 (Vol. 10, No. 2)

1984
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

St Dominic’s School for the Deaf 40th Anniversary Reunion

Footage from the 40th Anniversary of St Dominic’s school for the Deaf in Feilding held in June of 1984. This video shows a tour of the school grounds, welcoming speeches to attendees and the celebrations that follow over the weekend.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1965-66
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Summer 1965-66 (Vol. 3, No. 2)

2006
article – Taonga source: NZ Catholic

Deaf community gathers to honour teacher and friend

The deaf community of the lower North Island gathered in Palmerston North on the last weekend of September to honour a teacher and chaplain, mentor and friend who has worked with the deaf since 1972.
1944
article – Taonga source: NZ Tablet

Catholic Education For Deaf-Mute Children

The story of Catholic Deaf-Mute education, what has been done for deaf students by Dominican Nuns, and the new St. Dominic’s School for Deaf Children in Wellington.
1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Additions To School For The Deaf: Opened At Fielding By Archbishop McKeefry

A great step forward in what is a unique work of Christian charity and education in New Zealand was taken last Sunday, November 28, with its opening. The additions to the school consist of a splendid new block providing classrooms and dormitories.
2004
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

St Dominic’s 60th Jubilee

Ex-pupils talk about their memories and tell stories about St Dominic’s at the 60th reunion in Feilding, during Waitangi Weekend in 2004.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1990
article – Taonga source: Unknown

Trying to keep St Dominics

An attempt is being made to keep the St Dominics complex - the house, hostel wind and teaching facilities - as a Feilding-owned business or trust.
1971
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1971 (Vol. 8, No. 2)

2018
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2018 (Vol. 40, No. 1)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1944
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

FOR DEAF & DUMB, CATHOLIC SCHOOL, TUITON BY DOMINICANS

In spite of wet weather, there was a large attendance of Catholic clergy and public at the blessing and opening of St. Dominic's School for the Deaf and Dumb, at Dover Street, Island Bay, yesterday afternoon. This school, conducted by the Sisters of St. Dominic, is the first Catholic School for the education of deaf-mutes to be established in New Zealand.
1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

NEW INSTITUTION AT FEILDING OPENED AND BLESSED

Described by a prominent Palmerston North specialist, Dr A.A. MacGibbon, as a school which compares more than favourably with the latest schools of its type overseas, St. Dominic's School in Feilding for deaf children was officially blessed and opened yesterday afternoon.
2007
article – Taonga source: Unknown

Deaf chaplain dies before move home

Danny Beech, a long-time leader of New Zealand's deaf community, both Catholic and secular, has died.
1960s
video – Taonga source: Manawatu Deaf Society

St Dominics Gala

St Dominics School for the Deaf hold their annual Gala Day – year unknown.
Manawatu Deaf Society
1964
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Spring 1964 (Vol. 2, No. 1)

1950
video – Taonga source: Archives New Zealand

National Film Unit visits St Dominics School for the Deaf

The Government’s National Film Unit follows the City District Health Nurse as she visits students at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf.
Archives New Zealand
1992
article – Taonga source: Unknown

Deaf wing ‘alive and well’

St Dominic's Wing for Deaf Children is alive and well and integrated with St Joseph's School in Feilding, says principal Sister Gemma.
1950
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Dominic’s School Impresses Experts On Training Of Deaf

"This is the first time we have ever seen deaf children dance to a gramophone" said Dr. Irene Ewing delightedly when with her husband, Dr. A.Ewing, she visited St Dominic's School for the Deaf at Island Bay, Wellington.
1946
article – Taonga source: NZ Tablet

Making the Deaf Hear and the Dumb Speak: The Splendid Work of St. Dominic’s School, Wellington.

Two years ago, the New Zealand Dominicians opened a Catholic school for deaf children at 15 Dover Street, Island Bay, Wellington. The article records the impressions of a Wellington journalist who visited the school recently.
2010
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2010 (Vol. 32, No. 3)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1990-91
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Spring/Summer 1990/91 (Vol. 24. No. 2)

1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

ARCHIBISHOP OFFICIATES

A solemn and impressive ceremony was witnessed last Sunday at St. Dominic's School for the Deaf, near Feilding, when the Catholic Prelate, His Grace Archbishop P.T.B. McKeefry blessed the new building at the school.
1953
article – Taonga source: NZ Tablet

IS THERE NO HOPE AT ALL? Plight of Deaf Children

St. Dominic's is a mile or so on the Palmerston side of Feilding. Set back across the railway line from the highway is a fine old country mansion framed by trees and lawns. At one side are the former barns and stables, now being used as temporary classrooms. On the other side the builders are busy completing new classrooms for use next year; when these are finished they will begin work on the children's new sleeping quarters adjoining.
1989
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Last Reunion on St Dominic’s Feilding Grounds

The four-day festivities at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf during New Year’s 1989/1990 were a weekend full of activities! It was the last such event on the St Dominic’s Feilding grounds with a deaf unit set-up at St Joseph’s School in Feilding in May 1989.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1971
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1971 (Vol. 8, No. 4)

1968
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

A Deaf Child in the Family

“A Deaf Child in the Family” is an award-winning film which shows authentic scenes from Deaf education centres at Kelston, St Dominics and Sumner, produced as a resource for families of deaf children.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1966
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Winter 1966 (Vol. 3, No. 4)

1972
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1972 (Vol. 9, No. 2)

2009
article – Taonga source: Palmerston North Diocesan News

We See What You Mean – St Dominic’s past in print

A history of St Dominic's School for the Deaf was launched in March in Feilding and Auckland. 'We See What You Mean' has been the culmination of many years' work by author Dorothy Pilkington and the school's History Society Committee.
1994
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Ex-pupils visit the old St Dominic’s school in Feilding

A tour of the old St Dominic’s school grounds in Feilding as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations in April 1994. Ex-pupils explore the old school grounds and reminisce about their time here.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1983
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: October 1983 (Vol. 20, No. 4)

1966
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Autumn 1966 (Vol. 3, No. 3)

1963-64
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Summer 1963-64 (Vol. 1, No. 2)

2000
video – Taonga source: Dorothy Jones

Manawatu Deaf community farewells Terry O’Brien

The Manawatu Deaf community thanks Terry O’Brien for his service as a Teacher of the Deaf. Terry taught for over 30 years at Freyberg High School in Palmerston North which had a Deaf Unit that St Dominic’s pupils often went on to attend.
Dorothy Jones
1950
article – Taonga source: The Dominion

World Authorities Meet Deaf Wellington Children

Dr. A.W.G. Ewing and his wife, Dr. Irene Ewing, English authorities on the education of the deaf, with some of the pupils of St. Dominic's School for the Deaf, Island Bay, Wellington. The Ewings are here at the invitation of the Government to advise on education in their field.
1970
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1970 (Vol. 7, No. 4)

1967
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1967 (Vol. 4, No. 4)

1992
article – Taonga source: Unknown

New ideas from London course on teaching

Rebecca was recently chosen, aong with seven other deaf New Zealanders, to attend a two-week training course in London to learn the basic concepts of teaching sign language.
1965
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

St Dominic’s gives a Catholic education to Deaf boys and girls

Several clips of teaching and classroom scenes at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf, with one-on-one speech therapy, oral communication methods, a physical education class, the Rotarians Picnic Drive, playing with jet aeroplanes, folk dancing and their annual Christmas party.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1994
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Pilgrimage to the original St Dominic’s Wellington school

A group of past pupils visit the original Dover Street location in Island Bay, Wellington, as part of the Golden Jubilee of the founding of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1955-65
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

A montage of St Dominic’s Christmas Picnics between 1955 and 1965

Footage from 1955 – 1965 during the annual Christmas Picnics held by St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Island Bay. In New Zealand fashion, Santa arrives on horseback, bringing presents to the pupils who all take turns riding the horse!
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1994
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Celebrations at the St Dominic’s Golden Jubilee

Footage from the 50th Jubilee of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf, with over 200 people attending a weekend of festivities at the Fielding Racecourse during the Anzac Weekend of April 1995.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children
St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children
St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children
Est. 1944
Collection

St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children

We are all aware of the immense value St Dominic's has contributed to the New Zealand Deaf education sector. St Dominic’s School for the Deaf opened in 1944 to provide a Catholic based education to deaf children, and ran for 45 years before closing in May 1989.
1965
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Spring 1965 (Vol. 3, No. 1)

1968
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Summer 1968 (Vol. 5, No. 2)

1969
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1969 (Vol. 6, No. 2)

1987
video – Taonga source: Television New Zealand Archive

Parents speak of their fears for the future of St Dominic’s School for Deaf Children

Following the potential closure of St Dominic's, parents express their concerns at a community meeting for their deaf children’s future if they were to be mainstreamed into a local school.
Television New Zealand Archive
1954
article – Taonga source: St. Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

School For The Deaf Is £68,000 Addition To Catholic Charities

The new St. Dominic's School for deaf children, which is set in spacious 23-acre grounds and can accommodate between 40 and 50 children, is the only institution for deaf children in New Zealand not operated by the State.
2002
video – Taonga source: Dorothy Jones

Memories of Marlene Rush

Marlene Rush was the 20th Deaf student to enrol at St Dominics School for the Deaf in 1946. Marlene looks back on her life and involvement with the Deaf community.
Dorothy Jones
2011
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2011 (Vol. 33, No. 2)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
2011
publication – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Deaf Southern Star: 2011 (Vol. 33, No. 4)

St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1968
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1968 (Vol. 6, No. 1)

1994
article – Taonga source: Unknown

250 attend school’s jubilee celebrations

Three first-year pupils and three sets of twins numbered among the 250 or so former pupils, teachers, family and friends who attended the St Dominics School for the Deaf 50th jubilee over Anzac Weekend.
1994
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

1944 – 1994: St Dominic’s celebrates its Golden Jubilee!

Around 250 people attended the 50th Jubilee, commemorating 50 years of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf. Footage shows many old photo albums, reunion photos being taken, a Jubilee Mass and a visit to the old Dover Street school grounds.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1965
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Twenty-One Years: St Dominic’s at Feilding

A look at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf twenty-one years after its opening at Dover Street, to its relocation to Feilding. ‘Twenty-One Years’ features speech therapy, classroom activities and ballet, swimming and sewing lessons, as well as its infamous Gala Day and a Mass in its Chapel.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1991
article – Taonga source: The Chronicle

Coping with deafness in a hearing world

Cushla and Brian talk about their lives – being Deaf, their experiences at school, employment, and communication.
1965
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Winter 1965 (Vol. 2, No. 4)

1989-90
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

St Dominic’s 45th Jubilee

There are many speeches from past pupils and staff recalling their time at St Dominic’s. The casually filmed footage covers part of the four-day 45th reunion at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf, with many speeches from past pupils and staff recalling their time at St Dominic’s.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1950
article – Taonga source: Zealandia

World Authorities Impressed by Catholic School for Deaf

A visit to the Catholic School for the Deaf, conducted by the Dominican Sisters in Wellington, was paid recently by Dr. Irene Ewing and her husband, Dr. A.W.G Ewing, renowed authorities on the education of the deaf.
1969
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1969 (Vol. 7, No. 1)

1972
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1972 (Vol. 9, No. 4)

1989
article – Taonga source: Unknown

Fielding school for deaf closes

New Government policy on educating disabled children has ended more than three decades of teaching deaf children at St Dominic's in Feilding.
1989-90
video – Taonga source: St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre

Four days of festivities at St Dominic’s 45th Jubilee

Footage of the St Dominic’s four-day 45th reunion depicts the cutting of the cake, friends, classmates and family catching up over a picnic on the lawn of the school grounds.
St Dominic’s Catholic Deaf Centre
1973
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: 1973 (Vol. 10, No. 4)

1968
publication – Taonga source: New Zealand Deaf News

NZ Deaf News: Winter 1968 (Vol. 5, No. 4)