1992
video – Taonga source: Victoria University of Wellington

A journey through the 50 years of Auckland Schools for the Deaf

A NZSL narrated video taking viewers through the history of Auckland Schools for the Deaf, from Newton East, Myers Park, Titirangi, Mt Wellington and finally, Kelston.
Victoria University of Wellington
1956-57
video – Taonga source: Susan Hamilton

Kelston School for Deaf: Clearing of the Ground and Construction

Students from the Titirangi School for the Deaf visit the construction site of the future Kelston School for the Deaf.
Susan Hamilton
1955
video – Taonga source: Susan Hamilton

School for the Deaf pupils visit Auckland Zoo

Deaf pupils visit Auckland Zoo and enjoy group rides on an elephant at the zoo.
Susan Hamilton
1984
video – Taonga source: Susan Hamilton

Auckland Schools for Deaf: 45th Reunion

Brief footage of the crowd at Kelston for its 45th reunion. The Auckland weather holds up for the outdoor festivities!
Susan Hamilton
1955
video – Taonga source: Susan Hamilton

Annual Sports Day at Mt Wellington

Annual school sports day at the large grounds at Mt Wellington, with the school surrounded by farmland. The Titirangi children travelled to Mt Wellington by buses. Mt Wellington closed once the Kelston hostel block opened in 1960.
Susan Hamilton
1959
video – Taonga source: Susan Hamilton

Sports Day at Kelston School for the Deaf

The School for Deaf annual sports day is held at Kelston with athletics, long jumping, relay races and performances.
Susan Hamilton
1992
video – Taonga source: Victoria University of Wellington

Jubilee Ball: Celebrating 50 Years of Deaf Schools in Auckland

Nearly 500 alumni and members of the Deaf community, well presented with dinner suits, bow ties, evening gowns, hairdos and the works enjoy an evening at the Avondale Racecourse.
Victoria University of Wellington