The four-day festivities at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf during New Year’s 1989/1990 were a weekend full of activities! It was the last such event on the St Dominic’s Feilding grounds with a deaf unit set-up at St Joseph’s School in Feilding in May 1989.
Marlene Rush was the 20th Deaf student to enrol at St Dominics School for the Deaf in 1946. Marlene looks back on her life and involvement with the Deaf community.
St Dominics School for the Deaf in Fielding celebrates their first school reunion in 1965. The reunion was one year after the school had relocated to Fielding from Wellington.
What was school life was like for pupils who attended St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Feilding? Footage includes hearing tests, classroom teaching, and celebrating a pupil’s 5th birthday with his classmates, before Mass with the Sisters.
Around 250 people attended the 50th Jubilee, commemorating 50 years of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf. Footage shows many old photo albums, reunion photos being taken, a Jubilee Mass and a visit to the old Dover Street school grounds.
A tour of the old St Dominic’s school grounds in Feilding as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations in April 1994. Ex-pupils explore the old school grounds and reminisce about their time here.
Several clips of teaching and classroom scenes at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf, with one-on-one speech therapy, oral communication methods, a physical education class, the Rotarians Picnic Drive, playing with jet aeroplanes, folk dancing and their annual Christmas party.
David Molloy, a Deaf priest based in Palmerston North, talks about his life in the church and his second collection of poems in ‘Nothing to See’, published in 1997.
Footage from the 40th Anniversary of St Dominic’s school for the Deaf in Feilding held in June of 1984. This video shows a tour of the school grounds, welcoming speeches to attendees and the celebrations that follow over the weekend.
Following the potential closure of St Dominic's, parents express their concerns at a community meeting for their deaf children’s future if they were to be mainstreamed into a local school.
Footage from the 50th Jubilee of St Dominic’s School for the Deaf, with over 200 people attending a weekend of festivities at the Fielding Racecourse during the Anzac Weekend of April 1995.
Footage from 1955 – 1965 during the annual Christmas Picnics held by St Dominic’s School for the Deaf in Island Bay. In New Zealand fashion, Santa arrives on horseback, bringing presents to the pupils who all take turns riding the horse!
A look at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf twenty-one years after its opening at Dover Street, to its relocation to Feilding. ‘Twenty-One Years’ features speech therapy, classroom activities and ballet, swimming and sewing lessons, as well as its infamous Gala Day and a Mass in its Chapel.
St Dominics School for the Deaf hold their annual Gala Day – year unknown.
Memories of Keith and Irene Gordon, recorded on 27 June 2000. They were both foundation members of Manawatu Deaf Society – founded on 7 July 1962. Keith was awarded life membership of Manawatu Deaf Society on 16 December 2000.
Ex-pupils talk about their memories and tell stories about St Dominic’s at the 60th reunion in Feilding, during Waitangi Weekend in 2004.
There are many speeches from past pupils and staff recalling their time at St Dominic’s. The casually filmed footage covers part of the four-day 45th reunion at St Dominic’s School for the Deaf, with many speeches from past pupils and staff recalling their time at St Dominic’s.
“A Deaf Child in the Family” is an award-winning film which shows authentic scenes from Deaf education centres at Kelston, St Dominics and Sumner, produced as a resource for families of deaf children.
Footage of the St Dominic’s four-day 45th reunion depicts the cutting of the cake, friends, classmates and family catching up over a picnic on the lawn of the school grounds.